Professor of Computer Science
225 Stanger Street
- Ph.D. (1981) and M.S. (1978), Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, USA
- M.S. (1977) and B.S. (1975), Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
Areas of Expertise
- Software Engineering
- iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch) Mobile Software Engineering
- Cloud Software Engineering
- Architecting Cloud Software-based System of Systems
- Software/System Independent Verification and Validation
- Modeling and Simulation
- Verification, Validation, and Certification
- Digital Game-Based Learning
- Digital Educational Game Development Methodology
- Digital Educational Game Quality Evaluation
Selected Courses Taught
- CS3704 Intermediate Software Design and Engineering
- CS3714 iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) Mobile Software Development
- CS4704 Software Engineering
- CS4984 Cloud Software Development
- CS5704 Software Engineering
- CS4214 Simulation and Modeling
- CS5224 Systems Simulation
- Balci, O. (2013), “Introduction to Modeling and Simulation,” ACM Special Interest Group on Simulation and Modeling (SIGSIM) Modeling and Simulation Knowledge Repository (MSKR), Courseware published at http://www.acm-sigsim-mskr.org/Courseware/Balci/introToMS.htm
Selected Research Grants and Contracts
|National Science Foundation|
|2011 - 2015||Gateways to Algebraic Motivation, Engagement and Success (GAMES): Supporting and Assessing Fraction Proficiency with Game-Based, Mobile Applications and Devices.|
|2005 - 2006||Development of a Standard for Quality Assurance of Models and Simulations, NASA Langley Research Center / National Institute of Aerospace (NIA)|
|Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division (NSWCDD):|
|2009 - 2011||Architecting Naval Surface Warfare Systems|
|2006 - 2008||Passive, Remote and Open Situation Awareness System (PROSAS) Architecting|
|2006||Coalition Warrior Interoperability Demonstration (CWID)|
|2005||Network-Centric Open Systems Architecture Assessment|
|2004||Network-Centric Operations / Warfare|
|2002 - 2003||Missile Defense Agency (MDA): Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Verification, Validation, and Accreditation (VV&A); Software Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V); System IV&V|
|2002 - 2004||MDA Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD): M&S VV&A; Software IV&V; System IV&V|
|2001 - 2002||U.S. Navy DD21: Software Certification|
|1998 - 2002||National Missile Defense (NMD): M&S VV&A; Software IV&V; System IV&V|
|Defense Modeling and Simulation Office (DMSO)|
|1996 - 1997||Verification, Validation and Accreditation (VV&A) Technical Support|
|Naval Research Laboratory (NRL):|
|1995 - 1996||Visual Simulation Environment|
Selected Professional Activities
|01/2009 - present||Founding Editor-in-Chief of ACM SIGSIM Modeling and Simulation Knowledge Repository|
|04/1985 - present||Simulation and Modeling Category Editor of ACM Computing Reviews|
|07/2005 - present||Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Simulation|
|03/1990 - 06/2013||Area Editor of ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation (TOMACS)|
|07/2008 - 06/2010||Elected Chair of ACM Special Interest Group on Simulation and Modeling (SIGSIM)|
|09/1993 - 12/2002||Founding Editor-in-Chief of Annals of Software Engineering, an international journal published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, NY|
|08/1996 - 12/2000||Founding Editor-in-Chief of World Wide Web, an international journal published by Baltzer Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|07/2002 - 07/2006||Director at Large for the Society for Modeling and Simulation International (SCS) Board of Directors|
- Serdar Aslan and Osman Balci (2015), “GAMED: Digital Educational Game Development Methodology,” Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International 91, 4 (Apr.), 307-319, doi: 10.1177/0037549715572673.
- Osman Balci (2015), “Quality Indicators Throughout the Modeling and Simulation Life Cycle,” In Concepts and Methodologies for Modeling and Simulation, Simulation Foundations, Methods and Applications: A Tribute to Tuncer Ören, L. Yilmaz, Ed., Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, Chapter 9, pp. 199-215.
- Anderson Norton, Jesse L. M. Wilkins, Michael A. Evans, Kirby Deater-Deckard, Osman Balci, and Mido Chang (2014), “Technology Helps Students Transcend Part-Whole Concepts,” Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 19, 6 (Feb.), 352-358.
- Osman Balci, Kirby Deater-Deckard, and Anderson Norton (2013), “Challenges in Teaching Modeling and Simulation Online,” In Proceedings of the 2013 Winter Simulation Conference (Washington, DC, Dec. 8-11). IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, pp. 3568- 3575.
- Osman Balci (2012), “A Life Cycle for Modeling and Simulation,” Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International 88, 7, 870–883.
- Amine Chigani and Osman Balci (2012), “The Process of Architecting for Software / System Engineering,” International Journal of System of Systems Engineering 3, 1, 1-23.
- Osman Balci (2011), “How to Successfully Conduct Large-Scale Modeling and Simulation Projects,” In Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference (Phoenix, AZ, Dec. 11-14). IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, pp. 176-182.
- Osman Balci, James D. Arthur, and William F. Ormsby (2011), “Achieving Reusability and Composability with a Simulation Conceptual Model,” Journal of Simulation 5, 3 (Aug.), 157-165.
- Osman Balci (2010), “Golden Rules of Verification, Validation, Testing, and Certification of Modeling and Simulation Applications,” SCS M&S Magazine, Oct. 2010 Issue 4, The Society for Modeling and Simulation International (SCS), Vista, CA.
- David S. Myers and Osman Balci (2009), “A Web-Based Visual Simulation Architecture,” International Journal of Modelling and Simulation 29, 2, 137-148.
- Osman Balci and William F. Ormsby (2008), “Network-Centric Military System Architecture Assessment Methodology,” International Journal of System of Systems Engineering 1, 1-2, 271-292.
- Osman Balci and William F. Ormsby (2007), “Conceptual Modeling for Designing Large-Scale Simulations,” Journal of Simulation 1, 3 (Aug.) 175-186.
- Osman Balci and William F. Ormsby (2006), “Quality Assessment of Modeling and Simulation of Network-Centric Military Systems,” In Modeling and Simulation Tools for Emerging Telecommunications Networks: Needs, Trends, Challenges and Solutions, A.N. Ince and E. Topuz, Eds, Springer, New York, NY, Chapter 19, pp. 365-382.
- Mohammad Sabah and Osman Balci (2005), “Web-based Random Variate Generation for Stochastic Simulations,” International Journal of Simulation and Process Modelling 1, 1&2, 16-25.
- Osman Balci (2001), “A Methodology for Certification of Modeling and Simulation Applications,” ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation 11, 4 (Oct.), 352-377.